Monday, August 18, 2008

fear has a name, and it is

18.

which is the number of years i have lived on this planet as of December 10th, 2009.

i am absolutely terrified.

as a freshman in high school i thought i'd never see that glorious day, (and not just figuratively)

but now,

some 114 days from today,

i become an "adult"

ew?

like i even want to have all that responsibility.

but here it comes, none the less.

smile, you've got reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More words of "wisdom" from Nana. 18 is not an adult. 18 is the legal age of accountability. That means you are responsible legally for anything that you do wrong...can't blame it on someone else. An "adult" is a person that makes decisions based on information that they have or have sought out instead of just jumping in no matter how deep the water is. An "adult" has no age, but rather a state of mind. I was 18 once, and still am in my mind. The only difference is that I am heavier and not married to Papa Terry and not pregnant with Teri. (Picture yourself there.) I thought I was all grown up at 17 and did what I wanted...boy did that bite me in the butt. But if I had listened to my mom and "never sit on a boys lap",(my extent of sex education, Hillbilly style)I would not have had your mother or Aunt Teri and would have missed some of the biggest blessings in my life, namely my beautiful grandchildren and great grandaughter. 18 is a time that you have your whole life ahead of you and can do anything you want. That does NOT mean you can do whatever you want and be damned the consequences, but instead means that the world is your oyster and you can find pearls in your life. Take your time and enjoy being one of the kids in a home that is so loving and one day you will move on with a goal in mind and a plan to get there. And the road back home will always be there and you can go home to visit your family and be treated like a queen because your parents will spend their days remembering the old times and wish the kids would come home for a visit. That is being LOVED. I would give anything in this world to be able to go see my mom and have her cook for me and tell me how much she loves me. Search for "Pearls" in your life Lacy..love you, Nana